You want an Airbnb cleaning checklist if you own a short-term property rental. This is important for a few reasons. Firstly, you want to know what the expectations of your guests are. We have compiled the important tasks that need to be done based on industry information. That means there’s no guessing.
Whether you do the cleaning yourself or have professional cleaners come in, a checklist for the cleaning that’s required is necessary. You can easily communicate with the cleaners about what your expectations are. If you’re doing it yourself, it serves as a reminder of what to do so you don’t forget. An Airbnb cleaning checklist is another way to maintain guest satisfaction every time, as a clean Airbnb property is what people expect.
Why It’s So Important to Have a Clean, Tidy Property
If you’re running an Airbnb, guests never want to feel immersed in someone else’s mess. Your Airbnb should make a guest feel like nobody else has been in the space. Cleaning diligently every time is important. If one thing is missed, even a small one, it will most likely be noticed.
If there’s hair in the shower or dirt in the sink, it will make the guests feel like they’re in a filthy place (even if it’s just a missed spot). An Airbnb cleaning checklist is one extra tool to ensure things aren’t missed. A less-than-perfect cleaning job can lead to bad reviews, and it’s hard to argue in your response to the guest. It becomes a stain on your reputation, and if guests can avoid your Airbnb because of bad reviews, they will.
Airbnb Cleaning Checklist: What to Include
You want to maintain high cleaning standards for your Airbnb guests, as this is what guests are likely to notice. They will discuss it in their reviews if you consistently offer guests a clean environment. Even if there’s construction nearby or it happens to be noisy during a stay, everyone knows that’s out of the Airbnb owner’s control. However, cleanliness is entirely in your control and adds value.
When you do a turnover, some tasks must be done every time, including:
- Do a detailed inspection of all areas. Remove items that were left behind. If someone has left something of value, message them and ask them if they’d like it sent.
- Remove, wash, and change bedding and towels. Remake the beds. Add a natural freshener to the sheets for an added luxury guest experience.
Do a full clean of the kitchen, including:
- Putting dishes in the dishwasher, cleaning them, emptying the dishwasher.
- Clean the inside and outside of the toaster.
- Clean the stove.
- Clean the inside and outside of the fridge.
- Restock any amenities you advertise, including coffee.
- Restock garbage bags, paper towels, etc.
- Dust surfaces.
- Clean the furniture based on the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Vacuum/sweep floors.
- Mop floors.
Full cleaning of the bathroom, including:
- Shower/bathtub (including showerhead, walls, and floors)
- Clean and sanitize countertops, faucets, door handles, cupboards, and light switches
- Replenish products like shampoo, conditioner, soap, toilet paper, etc.
- Take a final look at the house and make any finishing touches you think are necessary.
Kitchen Cleaning Checklist
The kitchen is likely one of the reasons guests choose your Airbnb. It must be so clean guests feel safe using it. Do a deep clean and be aware of any grime that might make your kitchen feel less sanitary. As part of the Airbnb cleaning checklist, you should do the following during every turnover:
- Clean and sanitize all appliances, drawers, cupboards, and doors.
- Clean all utensils and make sure they’re spotless.
- Clean the stovetop and make sure there are no spots.
- Clean hoods and ventilation.
- Clean the inside and outside of the microwave, toaster, oven, and refrigerator.
- Clean the sink and drain.
- Clean and disinfect the inside and outside of the garbage can.
- Take out recycling and, if necessary, clean the recycling bin.
- Remove everything out of the fridge that the past guest left.
- Clean windows, sink, and metal fixtures with a vinegar/water mixture and a micro cloth.
- Sweep/vacuum and mop floors.
Living Room and General Spaces Cleaning Checklist
The living room is important for guests to enjoy and relax together. You want to ensure it’s tidy and nothing has been left behind. No guest wants to find dirt and grime under the couch. Remember that in some cases, people may move your furniture around. If they see a used bandaid, this could lead to a bad review. Make sure it’s tidy, and there’s no clutter as well.
- Dust all surfaces.
- Polish any wood furniture or shelving.
- Sanitize and disinfect light switches and remotes.
- Vacuum underneath furniture.
- Vacuum couches on the surface and under any cushions.
- Vacuum/sweep floors.
- Mop uncarpeted floors.
- Clean up any cobwebs.
- Dust baseboards.
- Clean windows.
Bathroom Cleaning Checklist
The bathroom must be clean and smelling sanitized. This is one place where you can’t afford to miss out on anything. If you follow the Airbnb cleaning checklist below for your bathroom, guests will feel comfortable using the bathroom.
- Sanitize and clean the toilet.
- Sanitize and thoroughly clean the sink, bathtub, and shower.
- Make sure there are no blockages in the sink or shower drains. Remove any hair.
- Clean tiles and grout.
- Rinse everything well so there’s no residue.
- Clean faucets and mirrors with window cleaner and a micro cloth.
- Clean towels/bathmat and replace them, folding them hotel style.
Bedroom Cleaning Checklist
You want the bedroom to be clutter-free and decorated nicely to create a relaxing environment for your guests. It’s important to have clean sheets that are fresh and neatly tucked in. Every time a new guest arrives, do the following:
- Make the bed with clean, fresh sheets and bedding.
- Remove any trash from past guests.
- Dust all surfaces, including light fixtures, bed frames, desks, shelves, dressers, and closet shelves.
- Clean windows.
- Disinfect any light switches or remotes.
- Check the dresser and closets and remove anything that doesn’t belong.
- Polish any wooden furniture.
- Vacuum floors, including under the bed, desk, dressers, etc.
- Mop if the bedroom isn’t carpeted.
Utility Rooms Cleaning Checklist
You want to pay attention to the mudroom or laundry room. This is often the entry point for an Airbnb, so dirt and dust can accumulate quickly.
- Check for trash or lint in your dryer.
- Clean/sanitize the inside and outside of the washer and dryer.
- Clean the sink and drain in the laundry room.
- Clean any windows.
- Have laundry basket and drying rack in easy view for guests and ensure it’s ready to use.
- Dust baseboards.
- Vacuum/sweep floors and rugs.
You may want to do all the cleaning yourself or hire professional cleaners to take on the job every time. As you can see, a lot is on the list that needs to be done. You want to ensure this part of your Airbnb business runs well. Guests will be watching out for how clean your property is, and if it’s not up to par, they’ll likely complain about it to you or through reviews. Use this Airbnb cleaning checklist to make sure it never comes to that.