The City of Rancho Cucamonga permits short term rentals (STR) if residents obtain the necessary permits and meet operating requirements. The objective of the permit and operating rules are to reduce the impact on neighboring residents, whether it’s through the noise, parking, or other nuisance activities. Furthermore, the STR must be the host’s permanent, regular residence. The following is a complete guideline for Rancho Cucamonga’s short term rental regulations so that anyone can be a responsible host when using platforms like Airbnb, VRBO, and other similar services. This rundown should give you a good start in understanding your local laws.
Short Term Rentals in Rancho Cucamonga
An STR in Rancho Cucamonga is when a resident rents out a room, a portion of their home, or an authorized guest house for fewer than 30 days in exchange for payment or other compensation. In addition, STRs must meet the operating criteria of the Rancho Cucamonga Municipal Code (RCMC). A Short Term Rental Permit, a Transient Occupancy Tax Certificate, and a Business License are prerequisites. City staff inspection of the property is also part of the permit application and process.
Short Term Rental Requirements
The following are requirements for a short term rental:
- The location must be the host’s primary residence, and the host must provide proof of residency.
- A tenant can operate an STR only with the written authorization of the property owner.
- There are no limits on hosted stays, in which the resident/host stays at the property. However, un-hosted stays are limited to 90 days per year, where the host will be away from the property throughout the stay.
- The number of occupants who can stay in an STR is limited to two times the number of bedrooms in the residence, including the host and other occupants.
- Hosts must include the Short Term Rental Permit number, a street view image of the property, and the maximum number of guests in all advertising.
- A single dwelling can only have two concurrent booking transactions.
- The City prohibits any nuisance activities, such as parking issues, noise, or odors. Moreover, the property must comply with the Municipal Code and State Law.
- Prior to the issuance of the permit, the City requires an on-site inspection for safety and compliance.
- Hosts must acquire a Business License Tax Certificate and a Transient Occupancy Tax Certificate (TOT)
- The host or hosting platform must calculate and remit Transient Occupancy Tax to the City every month.
The property must be located in one of the following Residential Planning Zones: Very Low, Low, Low Medium, or a single-family dwelling in another residential zone. In addition, Rancho Cucamonga prohibits STRs in Commercial or Industrial Zones. Before proceeding with the Short Term Rental Application, applicants can verify the Planning Zone by viewing Rancho Cucamonga Zoning Map to verify that their residential property falls into the permitted zones.
Short Term Rental Permit Application
The application fee for a Short Term Rental Permit is $175.00, which is non-refundable. Therefore, applicants should review all short term rental requirements and limitations to ensure they can be met and maintained.
The following are the steps to apply for an STR Permit:
- Download the PDF version of the application and fill out all the relevant fields.
- Applicants may apply for an STR Permit and submit the application online. To speed up the application review process, applicants should ensure they have all the required documents ready to upload into the application.
The following are the required documents for an STR Permit:
- PDF Application
- Index of Residents
- Diagram of the Property
- Diagram of the Parking Plan
- Emergency Contact
- Document showing the number of Bedrooms
- Copy of Business License Certificate
- Copy of Transient Occupancy Tax Certificate
- Host Certification
- Tenant- Host Certification
- Primary Residence Documentation
- Passport size photos of the applicant
- Street view of the Property
- Photo of each space Intended for Use
Once the City receives and reviews the application, they will email applicants with the application status. They will also notify applicants by email if any changes are required. If no corrections are necessary, the City will send an email request to schedule an on-site inspection.
Business License Application
Property owners can apply for a Business License online. The application must include all the required information. Business licenses are renewed on an annual basis and are based on the start date of your business in the City.
Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT)
Transient Occupancy Tax shall be calculated at a rate of 10%, and the hosting platform or the host must remit it to the City on a monthly basis.
The following are the ways in which hosting platforms or hosts can remit TOTs:
- In-person at City Hall
STR operators can apply for a TOT Certificate online. After the City receives and reviews the application, it will send an email with the total amount due.
As a responsible host, you must comprehend and abide by other vacation rental rules and regulations that bind you. These include leases, community rules, HOA rules, or other guidelines set up by tenant associations. Feel free to reach out to your landlord, housing authority, or community council to find out more. To get more information about other short term rental regulations, you can also visit Rancho Cucamonga’s official website or contact us.